Personal Injury Lawyers in OmahaNebraska Personal Injury Attorney Fighting for the Compensation You Deserve
Have you been injured due to another's negligence? You may be entitled to certain financial benefits which can assist you while you are recovering. Let the Omaha personal injury attorney at Michael J. Fitzpatrick, Attorney at Law help you get the compensation you deserve. Our Omaha personal injury lawyer handles cases for the injured throughout Nebraska. We have worked with cases relating to motor vehicle and motorcycle accidents, medical malpractice, and more.
You can rely on us for efficient and reliable legal assistance. We work hard to help increase the odds of getting the compensation you deserve for your emotional and financial losses. Get started by contacting us as soon as possible following your injury or accident so we can begin collecting and preserving evidence while we investigate the circumstances that caused your injuries.
Personal Injury Cases in Nebraska
A personal injury is one in which you were harmed, either physically, emotionally, or mentally, due to someone else’s negligent action or lack of action. By law, the injury or suffering you have sustained may be eligible for compensation from the at-fault party or parties. These personal injury cases most often stem from motor vehicle accidents, but they can extend to any other circumstances where negligence occurred from someone who owed you a duty of care.
The damages to which you may be entitled include:
- Compensation for medical bills, both current and future
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages/income
- Lost earning capacity
- Emotional trauma
- Compensation for disability or disfigurement
- Property damage
- Other out-of-pocket expenses incurred due to the injuries
In some cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages which are financial penalties levied against the negligent party for his or her wrongdoing.
Nebraska Personal Injury Statute of Limitations: How long do I have to file my claim?
A Nebraska injury claim must be filed within the appropriate time frame if you are injured in an accident. A general personal injury claim has a four-year statute of limitations. For certain types of personal injury cases, Nebraska has different time limits.
The following are some of the most common types of cases:
- Accidents involving motor vehicles - 4 years
- Medical malpractice - 2 years from date of injury, 1 year from date of discovery
- Workers' compensation/injuries at work - 2 years
- Death by wrongful act - 2 years
- Bites by dogs - 4 years
How much compensation can I expect to receive if I file a personal injury claim?
Damages can generally be classified into three types:
- Economic damages, also referred to as special damages, cover the financial losses a person experiences as a result of undergoing an injury. For example, when an individual suffers from an injury that prevents them from working or incurring medical expenses.
- Compensation for non-financial losses, such as pain and suffering and emotional distress. In addition to compensating such abstract losses, non-economic damages are also referred to as general damages.
- Punitive damages are different from economic and non-economic damages in that they are intended to punish the negligent party. It is therefore rare to award punitive damages
Various types of compensation are available to compensate injury victims for different aspects of their losses. An individual can be awarded a maximum amount of damages in a medical malpractice case in Nebraska.
Contact an Omaha Personal Injury Attorney Today
The Omaha personal injury attorney at Michael J. Fitzpatrick, Attorney at Law is standing by to provide the guidance and representation you need in seeking compensation that can help put your life back together. Do not rely on insurance companies to give you a fair deal. Their job is to financially protect themselves by reducing or denying your claim.