Omaha Shoplifting Attorney
Experienced Defense Against Shoplifting Charges in Nebraska
Shoplifting is considered a serious crime that can result in severe penalties. If you have been charged with shoplifting, you need to take the matter seriously. At Michael J. Fitzpatrick, Attorney at Law, we know how to build effective cases that get results. Our Omaha shoplifting lawyers are committed to helping you avoid the consequences of a conviction.
Call Michael J. Fitzpatrick, Attorney at Law, today at (402) 809-5008 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our shoplifting lawyer in Omaha.
What is Shoplifting?
Shoplifting, also known as retail theft, is the action of taking merchandise from a retail store without paying for it or with the intent to not pay for it. Shoplifting can take various forms, including concealing items in one's clothing or bags, altering price tags, switching labels, or simply walking out of the store without paying. It is considered a serious offense in Nebraska and can lead to severe consequences if convicted.
What are the Penalties for Shoplifting in Nebraska?
Understanding the potential consequences of a shoplifting conviction is essential to grasp the gravity of the situation. Potential penalties you could face if convicted of shoplifting include:
- Misdemeanor Shoplifting: Misdemeanor shoplifting involves stealing items with a total value between $500 and $1,500. The penalties include fines, probation, and even jail time.
- Felony Shoplifting: Felony shoplifting occurs when the stolen items have a total value of $1,500 or more. The penalties can be significantly more severe, including the potential for a felony conviction on your record.
Defenses Against Shoplifting Charges
Some common defenses against shoplifting charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: If you did not have the intent to steal the merchandise but accidentally left the store with it or forgot to pay, we can argue that you lacked the requisite intent for a shoplifting charge.
- Mistaken Identity: In some cases, store employees or security personnel may wrongly identify you as the perpetrator. We can investigate and present evidence to show that you are not the individual responsible for the alleged theft.
- Coerced Confession: If you were coerced into making a false confession or your rights were violated during the interrogation process, we can challenge the admissibility of any statements made to law enforcement.
- Surveillance Footage and Witnesses: We can review all available evidence, including surveillance footage and eyewitness accounts, to ensure your rights were not violated and that the evidence against you is accurate and valid.
Contact Our Shoplifting Lawyer in Omaha Today
At Michael J. Fitzpatrick, Attorney at Law, our commitment to defending your case is unwavering. Our Omaha shoplifting attorney understands the stress and uncertainty that legal matters can bring, and we're here to provide the guidance and support you need. Facing these charges can be a daunting experience, but with the right legal representation, you can protect your future and secure the best possible outcome. Your future is too important to leave to chance.
Contact Michael J. Fitzpatrick, Attorney at Law, today to get started with our Omaha shoplifting attorney.
Free Initial Consultations
Our clients never pay for their initial case evaluation. Contact our firm today to get started.
20+ Years of Legal Experience
As a former police officer and City & County Prosecutor, Michael J. Fitzpatrick has unique set of skills that will benefit your case.
A Glowing Reputation
Michael J. Fitzpatrick is one of the premier attorneys throughout Nebraska and is highly regarded by the local legal community.
Certified in Field Sobriety Testing
Attorney Fitzpatrick has the unique skill set of being certified in field sobriety training and breathalyzer testing.